Thursday, December 26, 2013

Swiss and Bacon Dip


I love spending the holidays with family. There is nothing better than sitting around, relaxing, telling stories, and sharing great food together. Josh and I have both worked many holidays in our careers, and we really appreciate being able to enjoy Christmas day with our parents. Josh's nephew just completed basic training, and is back in town for a few weeks looking fit and handsome with lots of stories to share. Since he's been subject to Army food for the last few months, I thought I would bring over a few fancy appetizers for him to enjoy. I made this dip, firecrackers, rosemary roasted cashews, and a pitcher of holiday sangria. 
I don't know about y'all, but I am completely over cookies, toffee, fudge, and chocolate. I am not over the peppermint hershey kisses, my Harry & David pears I am hiding from Josh, or salty snacks. This dip is perfect for gatherings, parties, or football watching. 

Swiss and Bacon Dip
adapted from Fabtastic Eats

8 slices center cut bacon (substitute real bacon bits if you're in a hurry)
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
2-3 shallots, finely diced
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard or horseradish Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon horseradish (optional)
2-3 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese

Pretzel thins, rye triscuits, ritz crackers, or baby carrots for dipping

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook bacon in a heavy skillet (unless using real bacon bits) and then crumble. Cook shallots on low, until almost caramelized, 10-15 minutes. 

In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, dijon mustard, swiss cheese, shallots, and bacon. Transfer to a casserole dish and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Bake until golden and bubbly at edges, 18-20 minutes. Serve warm with crackers and carrots for dipping.

Transfer to crockpot to keep warm if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment