Monday, December 16, 2013

Quinoa Pad Thai


Quinoa is a staple in our pantry. I order it by the case on Amazon. It's taken over the place of brown rice in our every day meals. I (almost) always cook it in chicken broth to give it extra flavor. I love bringing quinoa dishes in to work for healthy meals, especially during the holidays when we are drowning in sweet sugary treats from our patients and their families. 

I was recently challenged to bring a new quinoa dish to work, and this recipe jumped out at me. The photos will do all the talking, it is beautiful on a plate and so tasty. I almost want to keep it all for myself - but I want all my friends at work to taste this recipe, so in the holiday spirit I suppose I will share! 
Quinoa Pad Thai
adapted from Cooking for Keeps

5 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup shredded carrots (I used more because I love carrots)
1 cup bean sprouts
1 cup shredded napa cabbage
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch green onions, sliced thinly
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
1 pound chicken, sliced thinly
Salt 

For the sauce:
3 Tbsp fish sauce
2 Tbsp sugar
4 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1-2 tsp chili powder, to taste
  1. Prep all ingredients.
  2. Whisk together sauce and set aside
  3. In a large skillet or wok, heat 1 teaspoon canola oil over high heat.
  4. Quickly stir fry the garlic, half of the green onions, all of the carrots and cabbage, about 1-2 minutes, then remove from pan.
  5. Heat another teaspoon of oil and stir fry chicken (5-6 minutes), then remove from pan. 
  6. Heat another teaspoon of oil in the pan, add quinoa, and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add veggies and chicken back in to quinoa along with bean sprouts. Add sauce to the quinoa and stir well. 
  7. Make a well in the center of the pan and scramble egg, then combine with stir fry vegetables. Serve topped with chopped peanuts, remaining green onions, and fresh lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment