Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Shrimp and Chorizo Paella

I still remember the day I one-click ordered my Lodge brand cherry red dutch oven from Amazon. I had just moved into a house with Josh, and happily put the one bedroom apartment years in the past. I had a nice little kitchen with a small island and was just learning how to cook. 

I knew a couple of things, and one was that I needed a dutch oven. This was the first recipe I cooked in my shiny new pot, and I bought my first ever jar of saffron to make this paella. I remember shying away from the price of saffron, but thank goodness I splurged. I clipped the recipe out of Runner's World magazine. 



Shrimp and Chorizo Paella
from Runner's World magazine

Chorizo or andouille sausage (8 ounces), halved lengthwise and sliced into 1/4 inch half 
      moons
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon saffron threads
1 cup long-grain brown rice
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice, I use Muir Glen fire roasted
8 ounces medium peeled shrimp, thawed
1 cup frozen peas
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat a dutch oven over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until the fat begins to render, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add saffron, rice, and broth. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook at a gentle simmer for 30 minutes.

Stir in diced tomatoes and juice. Cover pot, and continue to cook another 25 minutes. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Stir shrimp and peas into mixture, adding more broth if the rice appears dry. Cover, and continue to cook until shrimp are cooked through and rice is tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Allow paella to rest for 5 minutes, covered. Fluff rice with a fork and serve.

Makes 4 servings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment