Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili in the Slow Cooker


 A few years ago, when I started following food blogs, I discovered one called Can You Stay For Dinner by blogger Andie. She has an amazing weight loss story and has kept the weight off while embracing her love to cook. Her recipes are healthy yet do not compromise on flavor. Her voice is inspirational because she loves herself and she is comfortable in her own skin; yet she openly talks about her own struggles and body image issues, and she come across as being real.  I adore her. She even introduced me to smoked paprika last year. 

This recipe is from her blog, and I've been waiting for the perfect cool evening to toss the ingredients in the slow cooker. Of course, I had to make my favorite white bean chicken chili first, but this was second in the queue for fall slow cooker chili.  It had all the qualities I was hoping for: healthy, hearty, warming, and flavorful.  I will definitely be making this recipe again. Thanks, Andie! 


Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili in the Slow Cooker

28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
14 ounce can diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1'' pieces
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
15 ounce can kidney beans
15 ounce can black beans
1 lb 90% lean ground beef sirloin (optional)

Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker (including raw ground beef, if using) and stir to mix well. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment