Sunday, August 4, 2013

Preacher Cookies



You want to know what I did this weekend? I baked lots and lots of cookies. My house is short four sticks of butter, and the few straggler cookies are now in Josh's truck to take to work in the morning. 

I owe the inspiration for this post to my new hiking friend for pulling out a bag of preacher cookies at the midpoint of an 8 mile hike. I used to make these in PA school, and have not made them in ages. The taste of gooey peanut butter and chocolate melded together with oats is glorious. After that cookie, I walked a little faster with my chin a little higher. Just Friday, I had to call a local emergency when I realized one of my surgeon's sons had NEVER tasted or heard of a preacher cookie. That gave me just the excuse I needed to whip up a batch. 

Not to worry, I remedied the situation and he is now a devout fan.  I took a bagful to my father-in-law for his birthday, and he is convinced that eating a few of these cookies is equivalent to hearing a good sermon. Amen! 



Preacher Cookies
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup milk
2 cups sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
3 cups oats
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
  1. Mix first four ingredients and bring to a boil in a saucepan for one minute - stir continuously while sauce thickens, then take off heat
  2. Off heat, add remaining three ingredients (oats, peanut butter, vanilla)
  3. Stir and drop on wax paper until cool

No comments:

Post a Comment