Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Cucumber Salad


I made this simple salad to go with the Spicy Sauteed Chickpeas, using the cucumbers I picked from my mom's garden in South Carolina. I would have loved the salad regardless, but picking the cucumbers myself made it extra special. I think most gardeners would agree that vegetables taste better when you grow them with love in your own backyard.  
Cucumber Salad
adapted from Ellie Krieger
2 pounds cucumbers
1 small white onion
1 and 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp white wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
1 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
  1. Slice the cucumbers lengthwise, remove seeds, and slice thinly. Then thinly slice the onion.
  2. In a colander, toss the cucumber and onion with salt and allow to drain for 20 minutes. Press the liquid out of the vegetables and rinse with cold water.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar and sugar and stir well. Add the cucumber mixture and toss to coat. Stir in the dill. Refrigerate prior to serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment