Monday, June 10, 2013

SALAD night #1


I instituted a new house rule tonight, which I shared with Joshua AFTER he polished off my leftovers. You could either say I tricked him, or I played my cards just right. Of course I feel it was the latter. 

Are you ready? Allow me to introduce SALAD NIGHT to the Salmon household! I'm going to start spelling it SaLmon so that people don't think I married a fish. Not Sammon. SaLmon. 

This salad is phenomenal. Here are a few insider tips: allow your chicken to rest. After pulling the chicken off the grill pan, I wrapped it in foil for ten minutes before dicing it. Truly, this is the difference between super moist chicken or dry chicken. It's totally worth the ten minutes. Also, rather than glopping the dressing on top, take a second and toss the spinach with the dressing. This way, the salad is perfectly coated but not soggy. The bleu cheese crumbles on top really shine with this light vinaigrette. 

I'm hopeful I can craft a salad next week that we both love as much as this one! 


California Cobb Salad
serves 2

5 oz baby spinach (split between two bowls)
bleu cheese crumbles (about a handful on each salad)
grilled chicken, diced (2 breasts)
4 strips bacon (2 strips per salad)
1 avocado

Dressing
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1. Season chicken breasts and grill. (I used a grill pan and Zatarain's blackening seasoning). After grilling, wrap chicken in foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Dice before adding to salad.

2. Cook bacon in a cast iron skillet and crumble. (if you don't own a cast iron skillet, this recipe is the perfect excuse to purchase one! I love my Lodge brand skillet.)
3. Split the spinach between two salad bowls. Pour dressing over each salad and toss.
4. Top in pretty strips with bleu cheese crumbles, chicken, bacon, and diced avocado. Serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment